Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday Work-in-Progress: Narrative Quilt

This is the last week of my "About Style" online art quilt class with Pamela Allen. This week we have done a critique of a painting of our choice, and then it was on to the last assignment: a narrative quilt. I have a lot of ideas for quilts that tell a story. Since the grand-kids were just here last weekend, I got the urge to feature them in my composition.

Here is the beginning of the piece, with Lily holding her "Croc" shoe after it got stuck in the mud on the creek bank at our mountain place.

Here it is with more rocks, a bit of foliage, and some sheer green fabric over her foot to make it look like it is under water.

And here is where I left off today. It is tiring to compose a piece of art! Now I have added Avery to the scene, more laurel bushes, and more water coming over the spillover on the dam.



I find it hard to make convincing water, and hope that Pamela will offer some suggestions. The water looks white when it is pouring over the dam and swirling around the rocks, but kind of greenish-brown in other places. Then there are reflections from the sun lightening it here and there.
Like this:


Today is my Three-Year Blogiversary, and I am just over 600 blog posts. I will have to think of a Blogiversary prize to celebrate after I come back from the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival on Friday. I am going up to Hampton, Virginia, just for the day on Friday. Can't wait to see all the quilts, special exhibits, and oh, yes, the vendors!

4 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wonderful start, and what a great narrative piece. I haven't started yet....

Michelle said...

have fun tomorrow and congrats on your blogiversary! This piece you are working on is really special.

Vicki W said...

I'll be there Friday too! I'll look for you.

Suzanne Kistler said...

Enjoy the show! Say "Hi!" to my quilt for me. :)