Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cubist Explorations

Picasso...what images do you think of? Crazy heads with eyes in different planes going in all directions? People who are goofy-looking rectangles?
I admit, that's what I think of...and women with breasts pointing in directions Mother Nature never intended...
But we have been exploring Cubism in this week's lesson, with Pamela Allen's guidance. There is a huge variety of artwork out there exploring the concept of time and movement...
We started making basic shapes, making positive/negative images, fracturing them...
and developing them into a composition using all our previous lessons of the elements of art.



I started with the ubiquitous daisy shape common to quilters, okay, a little wonky daisy...
that has exploded into a wild garden!

I also tried a generic coffee mug
put in some contrasting backgrounds, an outline suggesting a cup...
and worked that fabric sketch into a piece I like very much, which reminds me of a collage. Wanna cuppa?

This has been so much fun. I would never in my dreams have thought I could do something like this! And I have enough handwork to stitch down to last me a very long time!

3 comments:

Erika Mulvenna said...

Yes, yes, Picasso...Cubism...excellent. I absolutely love your cup-o-joe piece; great colors and wonderful shapes. Fun stuff!

Vicki W said...

It is clear to me that I need to take that class.

Beena said...

Love the coffee themed piece in the last pic!