Thursday, February 4, 2010

More Charity Quilts from our Bee Sew-In


My bee, The Whacky Ladies, meets tonight, so I finished two more of the charity quilts that the ladies made at our sew-in meeting in January.

The first one is made from a kit that I put together with homespun, flannels, and a novelty fabric that has a camping theme. I just had to put leaves all over, including some pine branches, to represent the outdoors. This one is so soft and cozy, and would be appropriate for a man. It will go to one of our area rest homes for a wheelchair-bound resident.



The backing s also a soft flannel plaid, which shows up the quilting very nicely.



Although I often show the Quilts on Wheels projects because I am part of that committee, the Capital Quilters Guild also supports other charities. One of these is Quilts For Kids, whose recipients are babies in the Neo-Natal Intensive Care nurseries in area hospitals.

Here is a very soft and sweet Quilt for Kids project that Kathy sewed together. It reminds me of butter mints.


The colors are actually more pastel than the photo makes them appear. Even plain squares make a lovely patchwork quilt. On this one, I wanted to do something different, so I attempted another of the Line Dancing designs by Diana Phillips. Usually I use the line dancing, or continuous curve, techniques on much smaller blocks, but they looked cute on this one. The squares look like a puffy posy, and at the intersections there is sort of an orange peel design.I think the backing must have been an old pastel sheet.

Looking forward to being with my quilting buddies after being mostly snowed in all week!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the quilting is awesome on all of them. I like how the flannel shows it off!