Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Charity Quilt for a Gentleman...or Not!

Yesterday I finished another Quilt on Wheels to be given to a rest home resident. Carolyn made this top from a kit I made using donated fabric. When I was at the Flower Cottage where the Capital Quilters Guild keeps its boxes of donated fabric, I found lots of homespun plaids and also theme fabric with outdoorsy themes like ducks and wildlife. I thought these would be nice for the male recipients, as a change from all the florals that quilters tend to select.

For this kit, I actually cut the 6.5" squares, 3.5" squares, and borders to be sewn into one-patch and four-patch blocks mixed together randomly.

Here is a close-up of some of the ducks.

But, I also included some "country" themed fabric that also featured some domestic scenes. Here is a great-looking star quilt...and could that be an outhouse by the fence? Usually they are pictured with a half-moon window!
Although they may not have had indoor plumbing, it looks like the lady of the house had a sewing machine!


Since I have ten more charity quilt tops waiting to be quilted, I will be choosing designs that I can do fairly quickly. I have done this leafy meander so many times that it is a favorite pattern of mine, especially for woodsy or manly quilts.
The curvy lines in the quilting design help soften all the squares and rectangles of the quilt design.

5 comments:

Erika Mulvenna said...

I really love those meandering vines and leaves as the quilting pattern. Great colors in that quilt!

Nonna said...

Jeanne,

I have a customer in my gallery who is looking for the work of Pete Turner. Are you related to him? Do you know how to go about acquiring or viewing his art?

Hope you are the right person to ask.

thank you.

Linda Davenport
Galleria
Clarksville, Va.
434 374 5999
galleriaonthelake@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

Wow you did a terrific job !!!

Elizabeth said...

IF I had a moutain home or a wonderful man who appreciated fine work, I would be thrilled!! i am sure that your piece will be very popular!! i can see it on a bed in a mountain retreat!! Your quilting is exquisite- I love the leafy pattern!
Hugs!
elizabeth

Redspect said...
This comment has been removed by the author.