Monday, February 8, 2010

Squaring and Binding

I decided to tackle the squaring up of this old quilt this weekend. I knew it was going to be a hatchet job because the quilt was so dreadfully uneven, despite the additional strip of muslin I added to each side. Thank goodness for that, or the star points would have to be amputated!

Now I have quite a few quilted strips about an inch wide that can be made into bookmarks, cuffs, or something else. I will not throw away all that quilting!

I chose a blue for the binding, which blends nicely with the blues in the star points, and is the Carolina Blue of my brother and sister-in-law's alma mater.

The binding is about two-thirds hemmed down by hand to the backing. I got a lot of it done during the Super Bowl.

I also almost finished quilting my secret class project. I used both the longarm and my new Janome 6600 for the quilting. On to the embellishing phase next- my favorite!

2 comments:

Karen said...

You have done a marvelous job with this old quilt!! It looks great and will (hopefully) now be out in the open and shared with others who admire the beauty of quilts.

If you are ever headed west in NC, be sure to stop by my shop, Bless My Stitches in Murphy, NC. I would love to meet a such a talented quilter!

Karen Hopple
www.blessmystitches.com
www.blessmystitches.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow,
I never knew how hard it was to resurrect old quilt tops. It's so wonderful to think that Grandma's handiwork will be preserved with your efforts. Thanks!!!!!