Friday, February 12, 2010

Snap-Happy Purse

Last night was the February meeting of the CyberBee, a group of forty-some quilters from the Raleigh area. Not many members ventured out into the cold evening, but for the ten of us there, it was so much fun!

We all went crazy over a little change purse made by Julie Swinson. She used a pattern called the Snap-Happy Purse by Stitchin' Sisters. She said the Moda rep demoed how to make them at the shop where she works, Whistle Stop Quilt Shop in Selma, NC.


This purse has a secret ingredient: you cut a metal measuring tape and insert it into a casing at the top of the purse. Not only does it stay closed like a magnetic clasp, but it makes a most satisfying snapping sound when you press it! Oh yes, we were all Snap-Happy all night.
They will be demonstrating this project at Whistle Stop on Saturday, February 13, at 9:30 AM, with 15% off the pattern.
Julie says you can buy one of those retractable metal tape measures at the Dollar Store for, well, a dollar.
Tip: If you pull the tape out and cut off the end, don't retract it back in or it will never emerge again! (Wonder how she knows?)


I forgot to take pictures although I had my camera with me, but here are links to some other pictures on the web.



Now it's back to the salt mines to try to improve my quilt composition for Lesson 2 of my Pamela Allen online quilt class. I am having fun with it, but it needs some work!

1 comment:

Erika Mulvenna said...

That is so cute, and I love the idea of the "snapping" closure!