Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Moby Quilt" is Done

When you work at home by yourself, it is important to find ways to amuse yourself and keep your brain occupied, yes?  One way I do that is to come up with nicknames for the projects I am working on.

The current customer quilt began as this:



And was not exactly a flat surface to quilt



And during its weeks on the longarm, it earned several monikers including "Moby Quilt", "The White Elephant," and, my personal favorite, "Cussin' Practice."  LOL!

However, it is finally quilted.  I still need to do something with about a thousand thread tails that are dangling.  I butchered squared up the corners and sides.  I was ready to make and sew down the binding, when I noticed this on the back:

                                    
Can you see the little thread blobs?  Something went wrong on the tension on the back.  So, I will quickly "unsew" this small area and put it back on the machine.  I have some clamps made from the cardboard tubes in the center of batting rolls.  If you slit the tubes, you can use them to temporarily hold the quilt on the rollers while you fix the boo-boos.

But the White Elephant is looking so pretty!  Here it is draped over my couch.  I'll get a better picture when I add the binding.




I considered having a contest to see who could correctly guess the number of hanging thread tails, but then I would have to actually count them myself. 

What a relief to get this project off the machine!

Here is a pretty package of hand-dyed fabric that I purchased from Vicki Welsh's Etsy shop:



Yes, it is one of the last days of summer, even though we are still going to be in the 90's all week here in my part of North Carolina, but I love this bright yellow-greens.  Each fat quarter has a slightly different pattern.  I highly recommend Vicki's fabrics and the super-fast service from her Etsy Shop!

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

You are a miracle worker! I'm also thrilled that you like your new fabric. Thank you!

Unknown said...

gosh, I love that quilting.....my quilts would look like that, they probably would not lay flat....

Quilts on Bastings said...

I absolutely adore this quilt - I love your free flowing feathers and the background quilting you have done. Amazing job!

Unknown said...

we all have a moby or two........'
cussing practice made me laugh!
it turned out beautiful and someone will be thrilled.....