Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hand Lettering book

Last week I had some time between eye and hair appointments in Raleigh, and spent a couple hours shopping.  I got this book, Hand Lettering,  at Joann's with my 40% off coupon.  The retail price is $17.95. 

Hand Lettering, by Marci Donley and DeAnn Singh

This book has lots of different alphabets, tutorials on how to form the letters, and examples used in cards and scrapbook pages.  There are pages devoted to tools and materials, including a guide to the bewildering array of markers and pens available today. 


It is definitely going to be helpful to me in my art quilts, journals, and mixed media projects.  I have not really studied lettering since a required drafting elective in seventh and eighth grade.  This looks like much more fun!  I especially like the pages on decorating techniques, such as decoupage, rubber stamping and embossing, character marks, squiggles and scribbles.

Oh, yes, and a full page on correcting mistakes!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this book looks good....I love to letter but I am not always the best at it...

Gayla said...

Can't wait for you to show us something you have made with the lettering.