Friday, January 8, 2010

New Stuff

We had so much fun yesterday at our Whacky Ladies sew-in at Quilts Like Crazy. We had a good turn-out, and got lots of quilt tops started or completed. I came home with two finished ones to quilt for others and donate to our guild charities.

I decided to work on a nine-patch in an analogous color scheme of blues and violets. The alternate blocks are a white print with little pointing hunting dogs in blue. It is about three-fourths finished.



One of our bee members is the long-arm quilter at the store, and she and another store colleague prepared our delightful meals. It was even mostly on my current diet plan, which is South Beach Phase 1. I only cheated a little by eating a bit of zucchini bread. That's healthy, right?

As a little thank-you to the store for hosting us, I just had to make a little purchase. I can't resist those little fabric tulips of fat quarters, so I got one of those in teals and avocado greens.


Here are those fabrics opened up a little.


And I added a few more FQ's to the yellow-salmon fabrics I purchased there recently.


Today several of us had planned to go to Sanford, NC, for the Quilting and Fiber Arts Marketplace. Thirty-seven vendors will be in the Dennis Wicker Civic Center for a two-day trade show. This has my name written all over it---like the vendor mall at a big quilt show without all the distracting quilts to look at!

Snow was predicted for today, so we decided not to go. And I remembered all the stuff I had recently purchased at Mary Jo's, Michael's, and Jerry's Art-a-Rama during Christmas vacation- and had not even put away yet. So, I think I will pass on the trip. I wish it was not scheduled for right after Christmas! But it did not snow a bit here, just rain once again, although the snow caused a lot of traffic problems just north of here.

When I went to Mary Jo's Cloth Store in December, I did not have anything special to buy, like backing fabric for a certain quilt. So I just zoomed around and looked in all the bargain bins, fat quarter tables, button collection, etc. The only fabric I had cut were three pieces of organza. But here is some of the booty:

Some buttons (all are marked down at Mary Jo's)


Batik scraps and some fat quarters:



I love bluebirds, so had to get this fat quarter:


Here is the organza, some thick black satin, and some voluptuous tassel trim.

Some brass stencils for embossing or ???I have a needle-felting machine, but sometimes you need to do a little by hand to stick fibers down before running them through the machine.

And I found two more Cedar Canyon rubbing plates for Shiva oil Paint Stiks.

and some big bags of seed beads.

Okay, gotta go create something!

1 comment:

Vicki W said...

That's a lot of good stuff! Now, get to work!