Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mixed Media Techniques: Non-Traditional Patchwork

Yesterday I took the whole day off from sewing and enjoyed a visit with one of my friends from college. Donna and I worked together behind the same counter at the university bookstore for three years. Back then, there were no ATM machines. Students were allowed to cash checks from home in the amount of thirty dollars or less per day. Among our other duties, Donna and I manned the check-cashing station. On Fridays and Saturday mornings before a game, the students would line up out the door to get their weekend money! This was an excellent way for us to check out all the guys' names, where they lived on and off campus, and get to know some of them. My own personal husband used to come in and lean on my counter back before we were dating!
Anyway, we had a nice lunch and visit. She lives in South Carolina now, but early in their marriage, she and Bob lived in Florida. We stayed with them for several days and enjoyed our one and only visit to Disney World back in its infancy- no Epcot, Universal Studios, etc.

Although I still have a lot of work to do on the "Heritage Quilt," I made a little more progress on the techniques in Fabric Art Collage- 40+ Mixed Media Techniques, by Rebekah Meier. Today I chose to make "Non-traditional Patchwork.




Following the instructions, I added fusible to the backs of fabric scraps. I used commercial, hand-dyed, hand-painted, and some stamped fabrics, mostly in a pink colorway. (Thinking of Valentines' Day here!) You arrange the scraps on a base of fabric or batting. I used Warm and Natural cotton batting. When you are pleased with the arrangement, iron them down.

Then you zigzag over all the seams in various colored threads.

After that, you "thread-doodle" various designs by free-motion quilting, and then free-motion quilt all over.

After that, you are supposed to straight-stitch in various directions, but I chose to try out some of the stitches on Josie, my new Janome 6600 sewing machine. That was fun!

I am thinking this fabric will become a base for a fabric collage, postcard, or maybe some puffy Valentine hearts.

No comments: