Saturday, January 18, 2014
My Anything Art quilt group is preparing to do a display and demo at the Western Wake library using the bleeding tissue paper technique that we played with at our last meeting. So, I decided I better start making something with the fabric I created.
I like to make fabric-covered journals, so I decided that one piece would become a journal cover.
This one looked sort of like an abstract garden to me. I got out my Caran d'Arch watercolor crayons and sketched in some botanical designs.
Since neither the transferred tissue nor the crayons would withstand water, I gave the whole piece a coat of textile medium, using a sponge brush.
It was still drying when we left for the mountains, so I have not tested it yet. I might give it a second coat. The goal is for it to be waterproof, but soft enough to stitch through.
Then I took a look at this piece, my least favorite. It desperately needed something. In this photo it is still wet, but it was much lighter and less interesting when dry.
This time I got out some acrylic paints and some foam stamps.
We have a long weekend due to the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday. We came up Thursday night to clear skies, a huge full moon, and bright stars. The next morning was just gorgeous , and there was still some snow on the ground.
We went shopping and bought a couch and chair for the new cabin. We also bought a piece of granite for our fireplace hearth. It will have these "cultured" stones and the very dark hearth.
Yesterday afternoon the blue skies disappeared and it started to snow big, fluffy flakes. Within a couple hours there was at least an inch of snow. I am getting ready to brave the 12 degree temps to take some photos.