I have to admit that I did not like this one much at first. The background fabric is a flowered sheet. I thought it was too busy for all that piecing. But, it has grown on me and now I think it is very cheerful.
This quilt top had some issues, the two biggest being that it did not lie flat, and that the piecing seams were not very strong.
Instead of spending a lot of time making repairs to the top before quilting, I decided to just use a curvy overall meandering pattern and Make This Sucker Lie Down Flat! It worked pretty well. I decided I would not worry about any pleats formed by stitching through the extra fabric. And I was able to catch a lot of the seams as I went, strengthening them at the same time.
I also used a very thick polyester batting, Quilters' Dream Puff, which helped ease a lot of the fullness.
My plan worked splendidly!
Hettie quilted the old-fashioned way, by using up fabric from sheets, clothing, and curtains. I recognize some of the fabrics from other quilts that I finished for Debbie. And she recognizes some of the dresses that her grandma lovingly sewed for her.
The backing is white-on-white muslin. I used a Seafoam green thread in a leafy vine to somewhat echo the floral vine print on the background fabric.
Now to bind around all those scallops and get this one done! (I've only had it for three or four years.)
We took a last October trip to the mountains last weekend, and were rewarded with clear blue skies, colorful foliage, and warm temperatures.
Next weekend we will stay in Raleigh to help host our annual pig picking. It has been a great October!