Sunday, October 30, 2011

Frosty Fall Weekend

It was a wonderful weekend in the mountains.  Again!  A little rain, snow, clouds...a LOT of wind and then frost on the pumpkins!  But it was still beautiful up there and we had a great time.  We were glad that we did not get hammered with snow like most of the northeast.



With all the winds, many trees have lost their leaves, but you can still see lots of fall color on the  hillsides.



It was so windy on Saturday that I stayed inside and did a little bit of artwork.  The first one is the little McCoy pitcher I purchased in West Jefferson at Antiques on Main. I finally broke down and made an entry in the gorgeous hardbound journal that I won.  I sketched first with black Pitt pen, then added watercolor from my Pelikan watercolor set.



Then I tried to capture our kitchen window in our upstairs apartment of the cabin.  We are under the roof, so there is a sharp angle to all our walls.



I noticed that life was resembling art, as I had brown oak leaves in a pitcher and brown oak leaves in the collage to the left by Annette Rogers.



On Saturday night, the winds calmed down.  The sky was clear and the stars were shining.  Charlie and I both downloaded the Star Walk app onto our iPhones and went up to the top of the mountain in our Gator.  It was awesome!  You just point the phone toward the sky, and it identifies constellations, stars, and planets.  The big bright planet in the eastern sky last night was Jupiter.  I also saw two shooting stars!

Sunday it was absolutely beautiful- crisp and sunny.  We had a gorgeous ride over the mountain.  In the tree farm up top we found a guy we know who had come up to fill his deer feeder with corn...only to find that a bear had completely destroyed the feeder that morning.  Yikes!

Here is our beautiful Kasey, shining in the sun in the sparkling creek.


The ride home was so pretty in the golden light of the afternoon sun.



The ridge lines were clear, and well, blue!



I hope you had a good weekend, too!


2 comments:

Katie said...

I see a Karen Eckmeier type landscape in that last photo. :-)

Elizabeth said...

What a fabulous weekend You had!!! SIGH!! We stayed in and home for the most part! I got lots of old projects finished and was happy to not be out int he rain and wind and cold. Still have bulbs to plant and hope to get to that today!!