Monday, July 25, 2011

Quilts and Clouds

Here are some more pictures of the auction quilts on display at the Capital Quilters Guild Thursday night.  (See my previous post for my bee's winning quilt entry!)

 All of these beautiful quilts have been made and donated for the Heritage Days Quilt Auction on October 1.  Here is a big shout-out to all the generous quilt makers who have created these gorgeous quilts for charity.  I am so sorry that I cannot attribute them to their makers, since the "Viewer's Choice" was anonymous.



The one below has a stunning color combination, and I loved the swirly quilting.



I love scrappy quilts, and this one covers a wide range of the color spectrum.


Here is another scrappy beauty.

Here is a bargello quilt in hot colors suitable for this July weather!


This advent tree was one of my favorites.  There are 25 ornaments.


This is a very large, stunning quilt in muted tones.  Lots of piecing here!


Here is yet another beautiful scrappy quilt, in what appear to be Civil War reproduction fabrics.


I like the secondary patterns of circles made from this pattern.


This was one of my favorite quilts in the exhibit.  I like the play of light and the contrast between colors.


Now look at this stunner...all I can say is "Wow!"


This quilt was quite remarkable, and I think it was made by an individual, not a group. Sure would like to have this on the bed in our cabin!


This smaller quilt has a lot of energy.


This next quilt was very popular.  The block is a traditional one known as churn dash or monkey wrench.  But, inside the center of each block are folded triangles, which open to reveal a surprise.


The folded triangles remind me of those fortune tellers or "cootie catchers" we made as school kids.


This one opened to reveal a raccoon.  Isn't this a great idea for a kid's quilt?


The next four pictures show some of the above quilts that won awards in the Viewer's Choice voting.







Things have been very busy since my Thursday night post about the guild meeting. On Friday morning, I had to go back to Rex Hospital in Raleigh for my first blood test since starting anti-coagulant therapy. (I sprained my ankle July 10, and developed a Deep Vein Thrombosis ten days later.) The goal is a PT/INR level of between 2 and 3.  I passed with flying colors with a 2.3. The best part was that I only had to take two more of the hated Lovonox injections after that! Yippee! I took ten total, and have ten bruises to show for it, making my abdomen look very much like a Dalmatian! I'm still on Coumadin.  I went back to Rex again this morning and it was 2.2, so I am doing well on the blood clot treatment.



The ankle is doing much better, as well. We went up to our mountain place and I was VERY careful not to fall again. I just had to dodge the seven children and five dogs, and stay out of the creek. We got a lot done, which is good, since we have a huge crowd coming in next weekend.

When we left Wake Forest Friday afternoon, it was 102 degrees.  We arrived at our mountain place just following a thunderstorm, and it was 72 degrees!  What a relief!  The hot ground air meeting the cooler air from the storm created a blanket of fog that crept across the mountains.

It started in the west...




crept down the valley and obscured the hills...


finally covering everything!



It finally rolled off to the east.  I love these weather phenomena that make for exciting photos!



As always, our Kasey was a happy camper!






1 comment:

Quilter422 said...

so glad you're doing so much better, and that the coumadin is not giving you problems. thanks for sharing the pictures.