Friday, August 13, 2010

A Customer Quilt and a Charity Quilt

Here is a rather awkward photo of a quilt on my kitchen table, taken with me standing on a chair.
This is my latest finished customer quilt...yes, another die-cut flower quilt!  This one is in red and cream/white.  The quilt-maker is another student of Martha Armstrong of Zebulon, NC, who has brought me several of these types of quilts with appliques from the Big Shot die-cut machine.

I like the crisp color combination, which looks fresh and clean, although the prints are somewhat old-fashioned floral designs. 



These require 189 trips around the flower shapes to attach them to the quilt, as they are just basted on.  Sometimes the little petal edges flap up when you are progressing from circle to circle, so I quilt basically with my right arm while my left hand is smoothing the petals.



Good bicep exercise, but I am so ready to NOT do another one for awhile!  The backing was a red fabric with white swirls, and again, I felt like the lines of quilting competed somewhat with the lines on the fabric.


Last night my Cyberbee group met and had a wonderful time.  Five of us ate dinner before the meeting at Cafe Caturro in Cameron Village, Raleigh.  I liked the restaurant very much- nice fresh food and not too noisy.  I had a raspberry-walnut salad.

I thought you might like to see an easy group quilt that Martha Bragg showed us.  Each participant cut strips of varying widths.  They made squares with similar-colored fabrics and at least three strips.  Here is the one Martha made, to be donated to our Quilts on Wheels charity.

Sort of a rail fence, no?  Very cheerful!

It was quilted by someone who just got a long-arm, but unfortunately, I did not catch her name.   I still have about nine charity tops to quilt from last year, but got so busy with customer quilts that I fell behind.  That's okay, I think I did thirty charity quilts last year!

1 comment:

Chris said...

I love the quilting you did on the red and white quilt. Love those colors too.