Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Miranda!

I meant to have this finished in time to mail it for your birthday...but here is a sneak preview of your birthday present! I hope you like this fellow.
"Change of Season"
28 x 26
Horse pattern by Sharon Malek
in my original setting
100% commercial and hand-dyed cotton fabric. Leaves and horse details embellished with Tsukineko inks. Embroidery floss stems.

I first saw this quilt made up at a shop in Richmond, Quilting Adventures, on one of my trips last year. I immediately thought of making it for my daughter-in-law, who loves horses. They showed it with a simple border made of batik fabric. I decided to try to make it look like the horse was peering out of a stable or barn window. The leaves help fill in the negative space and balance the composition. Plus, they bring some zing to all the brown tones. And, they bring this quilt into the same color combinations as the wedding quilt I made for Miranda and Bryson. And, finally, this is my art quilt for the Cyberbee Autumn Leaves Challenge!

This cool leaf I made for the label is made of Angelina fiber in a rosy color, adhered to a dryer sheet painted with Lumiere paint in copper and other fall colors.


After I finished piecing the quilt, I searched Webshots for images of a horse head to help me with the details of the face. I was struck by this photo- doesn't life imitate art?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jeanne!! It's perfect, absolutely beautiful, and I LOVE IT!! Thank you so much.

Lindah said...

So beautiful, Jeanne! The border and leaves are inspired!

Cathie said...

Wow Jeanne- he sure finished off nicely. Miranda is going to love him! I'm so happy I got to see him in person.

Vicki W said...

What an awesome gift!

Michelle said...

This is beautiful, Jeanne! Speaking as one who grew up horse crazy (and really still is...) I can attest to the fact that Miranda will be nuts about this quilt and will treaure it always (I sure would have!). OH- and love the leaves, really must try this technique!! :o)

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Thank you all for your compliments about this quilt! I appreciate you for taking the time to comment. It was fun to make this one.