Monday, September 24, 2007

Busy Week /Ashe County Quilt Fair

Whew! Now I remember why God gives babies to younger women. I LOVED having my little grands here this past week, but they certainly consume all your time and energy! It was a co-incidence that they had scheduled their visit to arrive the day after our other son's apartment fire. Bry and Miranda always try to attend the Dave Matthews Band concert in Raleigh, so they brought the kids up for us to babysit. Then, Bryson went back to work in South Carolina on Wednesday, and Miranda and the children stayed with us. On Friday, Charlie and I loaded them all up and we went to the mountains for the weekend. Bryson met us up there. It was a beautiful, warm weekend, and we loved having them there.



Our other son, Dave, and his wife have been real troopers after their apartment building burned down. They have found a new place to live in the same apartment complex, and are awaiting word from the insurance company about the settlement on the rest of their possessions. They have gotten most of their clothes cleaned and both are back at work. I continue to thank God that they were able to escape the fire.


While we were in Laurel Springs, Miranda and I took off for a few hours to visit a Quilt Fair in West Jefferson, NC, presented by the Ashe County Piecemakers Quilt Guild. It was held in beautiful Jefferson Station, which the county artists have decorated with fantastic paintings, murals, ceramic art, you name it. Here are a few pictures:














These are two pieces of artwork from Jefferson Station. Most of the featured art has a mountain theme.

The quilt fair was Viewers' Choice. They did not even have the names of the quiltmaker or machine quilter on the label, so I cannot give credit. This was an interesting experience for me, since I had never voted on quilts in every category at a show. Usually there is only one Viewer's Choice. Next weekend my Carolina Machine Quilters Guild is having a show with the same type of voting, but I think they are having a program and labels with the quilters' names and statements.



























No comments: