Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Another Painted Quilt


Here is another little trapunto quilt that I finished painting, "bejeweling," and binding yesterday. I made three of these little twelve-inch quilts to audition the appearance of different colors of felt beneath a white batiste top. This one had a purple felt layer, which really came out looking drab and gray as a shadow trapunto. The white feather circle is white Quilters' Dream Poly batting that has been cut away after quilting with water-soluble thread. I never intended this project to be a keeper, but after painting with Tsukineko inks and adding some Swarovski crystals, this little guy really came to life! I just ordered fifteen more brush-tip markers for applying the inks, since some of mine are getting a little frayed.

I originally called this piece "Lavender Blue," but that no longer seems right for this riot of color. It sort of reminds me of the hippie designs of the sixties and seventies, so I decided to re-name it "Color Me Happy."

4 comments:

Cathie said...

Wow Jeanne this is glorious!!! Psychedelic! (There's a 60's word for ya.) The inks that you have utilized, are they the inks I see in the rubber stamping section -- are they ink pads?? They colors are soooo vibrant!!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I buy the inks and felt-tip applicators from Jukebox Quilts or Sew Thankful online. The Tsukineko inks come in little bottles, and can be applied easily with Fantastix markers. You use a separate numbered marker for each bottle of ink, and then never have to clean them! Just let the ink dry. You can also purchase Fabrico markers, which I think are available in the craft stores, and have the same inks.

zizzybob said...

I can't decide which I like better, the white or colored version. They are both so beautiful.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is Stunning! I love the difference there is between the white and the colored!!