Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Another Christmas Quilt

If you have been reading my blog this month, you may remember my post about the Gingerbread Houses quilt I entered in the Virtual Christmas Quilt Show on SewCalGal's blog.
She has added a new feature which allows viewers to have a chance at winning one of the great prizes! Just visit her blog and leave a comment or send her an e-mail about your favorite quilt in the Virtual Christmas Quilt Show. Drawing will be December 25, so hurry over! There are some lovely quilts to drool over in the show.
In addition to the Gingerbread Houses quilt, I have quite a few Christmas quilts. Today I will show you one that I made from a block exchange with my quilt bee back in the nineties. The bee has changed names from Just Between Friends to the Whacky Ladies, and I think Marilyn and I are the only remaining original members of this group.

We made pine trees from strip pieces of different lengths with two half-square triangles in each strip. I remember this being a complicated pattern to measure and piece, but I like the way it turned out. Since the trees are not embellished, the quilt is not just limited to Christmas decor. It is just big enough for napping on the couch, although it is currently hanging on the wall in my living room.
To have enough blocks for the quilt, I had to make two more of my blocks, featuring the blue-green-violet batik tree fabric. Of course this was long before I had my long-arm machine, and I used one of the decorative stitches on my Bernina to add garlands to each tree with metallic threads.

I have gotten my new machine (Janome 6600) set up, finally, in its table that fits snugly around the machine. I have only spent a short time playing. It is weird to sit down to sew, and not even know how to wind a bobbin or thread the machine without consulting the manual. It feels very strange after so many years of using my very familiar Bernina. But, I think I will like it.

Today's plan: another workout on my Wii Fit, and then make something fattening to take to the Christmas Eve gathering at my son and daughter-in-law's home! I am thinking...Bourbon Balls!

No comments: