Thursday, May 22, 2008

Juno and Pamela

I have bought myself two presents in the past few days. One is the soundtrack CD from the movie Juno. We watched this delightful comedy on Pay Per View the other night, and I went to the mall to get the CD the next day. I loved the story, the fresh young actors, and the music. It all sounds new and happy. The soundtrack actually includes oldies by Buddy Holly and The Kinks, as well as a very different-sounding cover of The Carpenters' SuperStar by Sonic Youth. The other artists are all unknown to me, but they feature a lot of guitar music and clever lyrics.


When I got home yesterday, my July 2008 copy of American Quilter magazine had arrived. I was staring at the eye candy from the AQS Show winners in Paducah and slobbering all over the pages. Then I discovered another article by Pamela Allen, my online teacher from the Think Like an Artist workshop this spring. This one was about a project of making a school quilt. They made portraits similar to the ones we made in the workshop.
That inspired me to order a copy of Masters: Art Quilts: Major Works by Leading Artists. The central image on the cover looks like Pamela Allen's work. She is one of forty artists featured in this book. I am looking forward to inspiration from this book, and also to having some time to create once school is out in June.

2 comments:

Lynn Majidimehr said...

So far, I've only had time to flip through the "American Quilter" and the "Masters Art Quilts", but am looking forward to some uninterrupted time reading and studying them.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Your son found me on the internet and thought we might like each others blogs!

He's right. I just watched Juno myself and want to get that soundtrack. Check out the Diving bell and the butterfly movie.