I ripped out the stitching along the side seams.
Then I created some more patchwork with mountainy, leafy fabrics to make the cover large enough. I just happened to have some fabric with log cabins in my stash!
Since the other piece was already quilted, I quilted the new section as well.
I added a narrow dark green binding to each end, using some leftover binding from another project.
Then I sewed the two quilted sections together. I trimmed the canvas tote to be the same size as the quilted cover.
I used an overcast stitch on my Janome to finish the tote bag edges, since I cut off the serging that was on there. Canvas can unravel very easily.
Next I applied a fusible mesh to the quilted cover, and ironed it to the canvas. Then I stitched the pieces together around the edges. It seemed like it needed more quilting to hold the layers together, so I just did some in the ditch stitching through all layers.
I sewed the side seams back together. Then I made a gusset so the tote bag could stand up.
We did not sleep in the new place, because the water is not hooked up yet, and the gas furnace is not yet fired up. But next weekend we will have new beds, and couch and chair delivered, and hopefully we will be all set.