Monday, July 2, 2007

Home for 48 hours-almost

Just got back from a long weekend (Friday morning to Sunday night) in the North Carolina mountains- and the last item on our checklist from the inspector is now done! Yup, everything including the kitchen sink is done! It took most of Saturday to get our sink and faucets hooked up, but it is done and we have an appointment with the inspector on Thursday. Had to wait until then due to the Fourth of July holiday. The stock market will be closed early on Tuesday, so Charlie decided to leave the investment world behind for the rest of the week! And to thank all our volunteer helpers- painters, sheet rockers, plumbers, electricians, landscapers, and friends, we are going to have a pig picking on Saturday afternoon! Lots to do to get ready, but I am excited about being up there five nights in a row. There will be a whole slew of people coming in on Friday for the annual float down the New River in tubes. Charlie and I will skip the float this year, or perhaps float with a smaller group on another day, but we are looking forward to seeing everyone.

I do have a little quilt progress to report. I tried Vikki Pignatelli's technique for making odd-shaped quilts by making a facing instead of a traditional binding. I used one of the trapunto sample quilts I had already made, and it now has an interesting undulating border. This quilt has been inked with Tsukineko inks along the quilting motifs, and also has a few hot-fix crystals. Think I'll add more!

Here is the front and faced back of "Summer Jewels." The edge of the facing is turned under after clipping the "valley" curves, and will be whip-stitched down.


Vicki W said...

Nice little quilt! I've got to get my inks out and do something with them! I really like that facing technique too.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Thanks, Vicki! I love the inks, and sometimes use colored pencils when I want more colors.

I am eager to use the facing technique on a quilt on which I have more room to work on the edges. This one was quilted all the way to the edge, and I had already trimmed the batting and backing even. But I still got a little bit of curve on the edge!