Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Fabric Postcards: Horses and Houses

We finally got to move into our mountain cabin on Thursday! What a dream come true! We had a few very busy days as we hung cabinets, bought a bed, and then got right to work on the pig-picking we hosted on Saturday! We are so grateful to all our helpers and friends who made this possible.




I finished a few more fabric postcards today. A group of my teacher friends asked me to make them some to choose from, and we are supposed to get together tomorrow night. One of them wanted a horse, so I tried a few different ones using a commercial novelty print.

Life is Good- I cut out two different horses and arranged them in a sort of a fancy stable. They have a nice brown and black fuzzy fiber fringe stitched on with copper-colored metallic thread.




True Love- Two more horses from the novelty print, surrounded by a floral wreath of flowers I stamped with Shiva Paintstix, then cut out and fused. I made the wreath during the Melody Crust workshop, thinking it might be a quilt label.



Wild and Free- This gorgeous fellow is the same horse on the left in Life is Good, but looks totally different in a natural setting. I used twisted yarns to surround the central medallion and the postcard edge. The cross-hatch design was already in the fabric, so I just stitched over it.


This card of the mountain cabin is for my son and daughter-in-law, in thanks for the beautiful sign they gave me for my birthday.
(See June 22 post.) I liked doing it so much, that I may do lots more landscape postcards or small quilts. The cabin and trees are from a novelty fabric, and I just freehand cut the sky, hills, and floral areas. I even added a little back art to this one- it has a mighty antlered buck atop a hill of bare trees.



No comments: