Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Quilt for Lily

I did work on Lily's quilt yesterday. For some reason, I have had a hard time figuring out what to do for this quilt. I have made many blocks, put on borders, and ripped apart because it was not the look I wanted. My daughter-in-law asked me to make a wall quilt for the nursery. She and her mother made the curtains, bed quilt, sheet and bumpers from coordinating fabrics in deep reds, olive greens, browns, and tans. Not traditional baby colors! I began by making a North Carolina Lily center medallion. What could be better? Her father is from North Carolina and her name is Lily. Then I was going for a sort of round-robin series of borders. However, I have abandoned all those and will be using in another project that I am making as a surprise. I bought a little book of patterns for quilt projects with frogs, lily pads, dragonflies, ladybugs and flowers. I am putting some of the flowers in an outer border with dragonflies. The center will have Lily spelled out in yo-yo's and buttons and beads, with a ladybug and flower beneath the name. I made the yo-yo's last weekend on the way to and from the mountains. I have used some of the fabrics that Miranda used for the nursery, but could not refrain from adding some bright hand-dyed fabric for the flowers. Will post more when I get more of the fusibles stitched down.

No comments: