Most of the fabrics were left over from my great-nephew Lucas's quilt that started with ten-inch squares. I added some pinks for this version, which will be for his cousin Holly. I originally wanted to just make half-square triangles, but half of those ten-inch blocks looked a little too large for a baby quilt. I cut each HST in half again. I lost a lot of the fabric that way when they were squared up, but I like the look much better.
These could have been set in hourglass style with the darks together and lights together, but I opted to set dark against light. It makes a pinwheel set on point.
I auditioned several fabrics for inner and outer borders, and finally decided to just use this dark butterfly print.
The dark background makes the bright colors pop, and the colors in the print echo the fabrics in the blocks.
Lately I have been trying to use up my fabric stash instead of purchasing more. The last few quilt backings I have made have been pieced. I spent a good part of the afternoon piecing the backing for this quilt from coordinating fabrics.