Saturday, June 22, 2013
Flower Challenge Progress
I decided to work on my flower challenge quilt yesterday. In the last post, I had not yet joined my flower quarters together, but I had pieced a patchwork base for the stem section.
I got my flower sections together. This was not that easy. If I used the traditional quarter inch seams, I would lose part of each flower design. Plus, some of these flower parts had so much fusible web that they were quite stiff. I ended up putting a strip of fusible on the backs to join them, then using a decorative stitch on my machine to stitch them together. I used red in the red/purple sections, and a neutral for the background.
After looking at it on my design wall, I rejected the beige patchwork base and opted for a plain beige background with a very muted rose design. Then I started playing with different shapes for the stem and leaves.
Notice I did not go with the straight stem and symmetrical leaves found in traditional quilts! I am wondering if the dark hand-dyed fabric is going to be too strong a color choice. And maybe there are too many leaves.
I also tried making a sort of bud. We are limited to the twelve-inch width and nineteen-inch length for the stem section.
I think it is too much. The emphasis will be on the flowers. And I know none of the other stems will be anything like this. Nothing is sewn down yet on the stem section. I will keep playing...these are not due until September.
Today is my birthday! That's right, 29 again! Last night we went to a famous restaurant in Raleigh, The Angus Barn. If you ever fly into Raleigh-Durham Airport, you can see it as you approach the field.
Dave and Emily had a gift certificate for The Barn, which they contributed to the occasion. They brought Baby Charlie in her fancy OshKosh overall dress. We had a wonderful evening.
Today so far I have done nothing but play on the computer and listen to Pandora radio. I guess I'll get off the couch pretty soon and start doing something. Or maybe not!