Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Work in Progress- Whacky Ladies Auction Quilt

All but one of the blocks are finished, the center medallion is a big glowing star, and some of the strip-pieced border is complete.  My local quilt bee, The Whacky Ladies, are making a sampler quilt to be auctioned at Heritage Days in October.  We were supposed to have a sew-in day to work on this project during the week that my father was in the hospital in Boone.  Since that day had to be cancelled, I decided to try to make some decisions about this project so we can proceed.

This morning I  moved the furniture, mopped my kitchen floor (gasp) , and started playing with settings.

My first idea was to surround the center star with the 12-inch blocks, and finish with the scrappy strip border.


That was looking kind of busy.  Next up was to add a white border around the center medallion.


That seemed a little unbalanced...too heavy on the outside edges.

Then I tried putting the scrappy stripes around the center medallion, and the pieced blocks on the outside.



I think this will be the setting we use.  The finished quilt will be 72" square.  I think a few are going to work on this at our local quilt shop, Quilts Like Crazy, on Thursday.  I will quilt it, and others will do the binding.  It should be ready in plenty of time to be displayed at the July meeting of the Capital Quilters Guild.

1 comment:

Del said...

Looks good to me - I think you chose wisely. It will be a handsome quilt when it is finished.