Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spring Garden Tour

Today I decided to revisit the historic section of Wake Forest and "stop and smell the roses." 

It was not the best time of day for photography, so some of these are a little washed out.  I started this time at the Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, which is on the former campus of Wake Forest College. 


Like many college campuses, it features lots of brick, grass, and trees.  Magnolias are the most impressive of the stately trees, and they are in bloom now.

 The seminary is celebrating its sixtieth year.



Here is Binkley Chapel, an iconic symbol of Wake Forest.


I like the doors on the Wake Forest Baptist Church, which is on the campus.



From there, Kasey and I walked up Main Street in the historic district.



My eye was drawn to the lovely gardens, gates, and bowers.





How is this for Southern hospitality?


The scent of roses and honeysuckle is in the air.





The herb garden at the Wake Forest College Birthplace Museum is looking fine.


I think this shrub is an oak-leaf hydrangea, a plant I have always wanted to acquire.


I enjoyed all the spring flowers.


Here is a pretty mailbox covered with purple clematis on my very own street.



My lime-green hosta have popped up, and have not yet been attacked by slugs or snails.


And the honeysuckle at the edge of the woods is intoxicating with its sweet fragrance.



It is hard to stay inside and do anything!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Mmmmmmm. Lovely!