Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I Won a Sketchbook Challenge Prize

I just found out from one of my fellow students in Pamela Allen's class that I won a prize in the May Sketchbook Challenge!  It is a book by Jane Davies called Adventures in Mixed Media: Collage, Stitch, Fuse, and Journal Your Way to a More Creative Life.


I will be sure to give a review when I receive this lovely book.

I will be doing some collage, stitch, and fusing this weekend at the North Carolina Quilt Symposium.  I am taking two landscape quilt classes. One is with Joyce Becker, and the other with Frieda Anderson. 

Today I served as a scribe for the Symposium Quilt Show judging.  We had three judges.  Each one got three scribes and three "fanners."  The fanners lay the quilts in a pile on the table and turn up the ends one at a time for a preview.  The judge then looks carefully at each quilt, and can ask for them to be held up.  She then goes through the checklist provided by the guild, rating each item excellent, good, satisfactory, or needs improvement.  Some of the quilts are then "held," for further ribbon consideration, or "released." 

After each judge completed their categories of quilts, the three judges got together to view the "held" quilts.  I could not always hear their comments, but it seemed that they very carefully evaluated each quilt.  If all other things were equal, quilts with "issues" received a lesser prize.  It was a very interesting process, all in all.  I recognized a couple of quilts that I had either quilted or participated in making as a group quilt, and excused myself from the room during the judging of those. 

I did not stay for the entire day, but it seemed as if they would finish the process before 5:00.  When I left, they were completing the judging on the quilts that I already saw during the first stage.

I can tell you that there are some great quilts in this show!

North Carolina Quilt Symposium, "History Revisited ~ Old is New Again"
 June 2-5, 2011
Peace College
15 East Peace Street,

Raleigh, NC
27604-1194










No comments: