Monday, August 6, 2007

What I did this weekend

We were invited to a great party Saturday night. You know we had to be looking forward to it when we stayed home from the mountains for the first time in months! It was a backyard luau, with two different bands and an island dancer floor show. There were many lighted tents, two cocktail bars featuring watermelon martinis, catered buffets, silk flower leis for the wahinis and shell necklaces for the gents, and lots of beautiful orchid flower arrangements. I would say this party must have cost more than the average wedding! It was very hot and humid Saturday night, but they had those giant fans that are used to cool the team bench at football games.

Here are my hubby and me in front of the waterfall by the pool.


Here is the first band:

And one of the tropical dance performers:

Sunday I managed to do some sewing. I worked on a quilt for the queen-sized bed in Lily's bedroom. Miranda and her mom gave me a yard of each of the fabrics they used to furnish her nursery, and I did not use very much of it when I made her wall quilt. So, I decided to make a Yellow Brick Road quilt to use up some of the fabric, and make a topper to go over the duvet on the bed. I also added some hand-dyed and batik fabrics, and included the rejected blocks from the wall-hanging. I originally thought I would make a Carolina Lily block surrounded by other borders a la round robin technique. I discarded that whole concept for the more whimsical quilt I finally made, but they look nice on the bed quilt. I have finished sewing it all together except for the top and bottom rows. I think I will not add any more borders, and just let the size fit the top of the bed. Maybe scallop the borders? I have never done that in twenty-seven years of quilting.


Here are the rows laid out on a bed in my home:



No comments: