Saturday, July 14, 2012

We've Been Invaded by the Pod People!

We have a pod!  Not the kind from Invasions of the Body Snatchers, a horror film from my childhood, but a storage pod.


This system is a rather ingenious solution to the storage of your "stuff" when you are moving.    They deliver the pod right to your home on a well-engineered truck, loaded with a hydraulic frame.  They lower the pod where you want it, then drive the truck away from the frame, then raise the frame up to clear the pod and re-attach it to the truck.

Charlie and I watched in fascination as they delivered our pod right outside our garage, across the driveway.  It is sixteen feet of empty box.


This will soon look very different.  We want to clear out some furniture  to make our rooms look larger, and get some of the stuff we've boxed up out of the way.

When you are ready, they will come back for your pod and either take it to a storage place, or deliver it to your new home.

Since we do not know how long it will take to build our mountain home, or where we will live in Raleigh when we sell the house. or how long it will take to sell our house, it is hard to know what to put in the pod.

Surely not all my neatly boxed-up sewing projects? 


I am using clear containers as much as possible, and labeling everything else in case we have to retrieve something.  But, I have found enough Un-Finished Objects (UFO's) to keep me busy for years, so I doubt I will need all these unfinished quilt projects to be readily available!

Anyway, if they go into the Pod, I will try to take pictures of them first.  Some of them are pretty nice quilt tops, not far from being finished.

Here is one I found that only lacks an outer border.  I won the blocks at Capital Quilters' Guild Block Party many years ago.  Look at all the piecing I did to set them.  I would think that a green print border would be just right.


Maybe I will leave that one out of the Pod!

The big question...what do I do with my twelve-foot longarm table and my Gammill machine?

Do I look for a rental house in Raleigh with a basement or big room?

Do I store it until the mountain house is finished?

Do I sell it, and buy a new one when we move?

Can't decide.  I am hoping for the first option.

Better get to work filling up boxes to put in the pod!












1 comment:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh my gosh what an adventure you are undertaking!! A mountain cabin home sounds heavenly, but I'd find a rental with a big room for the longarm and my sewing projects until then. ;-)