Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Ready for the Fourth of July

I decided to attend the monthly meeting of my art quilt bee on Monday.  So glad that I did.  We met at Kathy's house.  During show-and-tell, we got to see the beautiful jacket Roberta made for the Hoffman Challenge.  It is silk  patchwork with appliques of the floral fabric.


Roberta is renowned for her original garments, which have been in many national shows and exhibits.  I, on the other hand, am not very good about finishing patchwork jackets.  I unearthed three jacket UFO's while organizing my sewing room/studio last week.  Yes, I finally uncovered the one that was at the bottom of the heap on my cutting table.

It is curvy patchwork that I started in a Capital Quilters' Guild workshop with Karen Eckmeier.  It is supposed to be stitched to a sweatshirt to form the jacket.  I almost have enough pieces made to finish it.





I also have the unfinished mermaid jacket from a Quilt University class with Linda Schmidt.



I have already painted mermaids to applique to the yokes.  This one will get finished some day.

I also found some patchwork from a long-ago CQG workshop with Linda M. Fiedler.  It was so long ago that I do not have a digital photo!  I had forgotten all about this project.

Kathy took us downstairs to her sewing room to see her new longarm, "George,"  which is a sit-down model from APQS. 



 While we were down there, she showed us all of her UFO's.  I left feeling much better about my own!  Kathy has dozens that are ready to be quilted.  George is going to be very busy!

Yesterday we packed the truck to leave for the mountains.  It was 101 degrees in our driveway when we left, and 72 degrees a few hours later when we arrived in Laurel Springs. 

Upper Mountain Research Station, where we turn off on our road to the cabin
We are looking forward to a weekend with family and friends.  All our kids and grandkids and my sister's kids and grandkids will be here.  Can't wait!  Meanwhile, we will celebrate the Fourth by sitting at the creek and cooling off with some icy adult beverages.

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!














No comments: