Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wednesday WIP- a day late!

Since I returned to teaching in February, it has been a lot harder to find time for quilting. But I do have a WIP to share, an actual traditional quilt. I am hoping to mount it on the longarm this morning.


This one is for new great-nephew Christopher, son of my niece Rachel in Tennessee. I chose soft flannels and some Minkee for a super-soft quilt. I usually stock up on baby flannels when I go to Mary Jo's Cloth Store in Gastonia, NC. It is usually only about $3.00 per yard there.

I used half-inch seam allowances instead of the usual quarter-inch to allow for the Minkee, which tends to stretch and curl along the seams. There are a couple of nice-size puckers in the top thanks to the Minkee. Oh, well, my longarm quilter will "quilt it out"- how many times have I heard that! LOL

Yesterday morning I had an appointment in Raleigh, and managed to run by Carolina Sew-N-Vac to pick up enough flannel for the backing and still make it to school on time. I chose a grassy green.

Thinking of quilting in some frogs and turtles...or maybe some suns and stars to go with the border fabric.


Tonight is the monthly meeting of the Capital Quilters Guild in Raleigh, and I am actually going to attend the meeting. My attendance has been poor this year, but the meetings are always great. It is a fairly long drive to the meeting sight from here in Wake Forest, so I don't like to go by myself at night. My friend Donna from my local bee is going with me. Our speaker will be Cathie Hoover from California.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This colors are darling! :)

Judy S. said...

I love the border fabric, Jeanne! Minkee is tough to work with, isn't it? It feels so wonderful but fights you all the way!