Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Sailing Postcard

I am now officially on spring break, two days late since we had snow make-up days. But I can't complain about getting some time off after only working part-time since February 24!

Today is the only day I actually have for sewing, since we are leaving tomorrow at noon for another weekend at our mountain place. Charlie is off for Good Friday.

We have two family birthdays on Tuesday, April 14: my son Bryson, and my sister-in-law Anna. I made this little card for Anna in an attempt to capture the feeling of their sailboat out on the beautiful waters of Sanibel Island. Yes, another tropical-themed project. My father is leaving to spend a week with them on Friday. I wish I could stow-away in his suitcase! Jeff, Anna, and their children are wonderful hosts, and it is such a beautiful place to visit.

I wish I had not needle-punched the sailboat down with the embellisher. In this case, I don't really like the frayed look of the edges. However, it is done and ready to mail.

I punched silk and wool roving directly to a piece of Timtex, added a little Angelina fibers, and then cut the boat and sails out of white cotton. The zigzag edge has both a rayon and a metallic thread. The back is watercolor paper tinted azure blue.

That black thing at the lower edge is a shadow of my finger!

1 comment:

Tootie said...

Your post came in my Google Sanibel Alerts, that's why I dropped by. I love the sailboat project. :-)