Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New Drawing Winner and New DVD for Me

Sadly, the unidentifiable Sandra has not been located to claim her Blogiversary prize of the Tropical Island fabric postcard. So, today I used random.org to select a new winner...and it is Becca from http://turtletraxtoo.blogspot.com/. She signed in as Turtles in Alaska...and a peek at her blog reveals that she is living in Alaska! So, Becca, if you will send me your snail address, I will mail a little bit of the tropics to you in the still-cold north. (Fortunately, Becca's e-mail address was available, and I have contacted her directly.)


This morning I have been glued to the television, watching my new DVD from Interweave Press.

Oh, boy, oh, boy. This one features the delightfully named Lyric Kinard teaching us all about surface design, from carving stamps to screen printing, stenciling, foiling... you name it! Lyric is from the same area where I live, and I have been admiring her work at our guild shows for many years. She has created fabulous garments as well as art quilts. Lyric more or less shot to fame in the art quilting world after doing a series of art design tips for Quilting Arts magazine. She is also an expert on entering your work in shows, and her website features valuable entry information. Lyric also wrote a very helpful article on framing art quilts. Some of these ideas are available on the QA website. Now she has been on Quilting Arts TV and is teaching at the big quilting shows like Houston.

In addition to admiring her art, I was fascinated that she demonstrated all these projects without making any noticeable mess on her workspace, her clothes or her manicure. The magic of TV?

I have been familiar with many of the techniques on this DVD for a long time, but some were new to me. I am excited about trying screen printing, as well as photocopy transfer using Citrasolve. There is also a segment on constructing book covers and sewing small art quilts.

I don't know how Lyric finds time to do all this, as she has a house full of kids, but I'm glad she is sharing her talents with the art quilting world. She also can be followed on her blog.

If it were not for that pesky job I go to each afternoon, I would be getting out my paints and making something pretty today!

2 comments:

Lyric said...

I can't wait to see what you come up with! Pop me note when you do post pictures.

And - yes - it's mostly the magic of TV that kept my very nicely manicured fingers from looking a mess. We cleaned up between filming each chapter. That said - most of these techniques are fairly contained and don't make much of a mess.

Thanks for the very sweet review!
-Lyric

Lynn Majidimehr said...

Oh boy, now I've got to go check the video out at Quilting Arts. Am looking forward to seeing what you create!