Saturday, January 14, 2017
We had a snow and ice event here in Raleigh last weekend, resulting in us being housebound for a few days. Result: I finished a few projects! Here is one quilt that is now complete.
When it came time to bind the edges, I recognized a problem. I would have to cut off that last chenille border if I wanted to add a traditional binding. I decided to just zigzag the binding and batting to the very edge of the top. I think that solution is fine. This one is not going in a quilt show!
I bought the top at an antique store in Pittsboro, North Carolina, last spring when I went to French Connections with two friends. I think it was meant to be a summer-weight child's bedspread. The edges were a little ragged, but I thought it would make a nice quilt.
I put this one on my Gammill in the mountain cabin in July, but it took months to finish it. I did not know when I put it on that I had a broken leg. I could not stand very long on that hard concrete floor!
I quilted lots of leaves and swirls and echoed around the flower shapes.
You can see the pastel stripe flannel I used for the back. It is turned up so you can see the stitched edge.
I think this quilt will live in my bedroom, where I will keep it on my chair.