Friday, November 15, 2013

A Bad Day

On Wednesday morning,  I came home from my water aerobics class to find my front door wide open and every drawer and door in the house open.  My first thought was to find my dog, who had been in the house.  I could hear her barking somewhere, but a quick walk through the main floor did not locate her.  Usually she bolts out the door the minute I get home.

I realized the burglars could still be in the house downstairs, so I went back out and called 911 and my husband.  We found the dog confined in our bedroom.  The deputies checked that the house was clear.  Then we had to start figuring out what was missing.  Turns out that they stole both of our laptops and a chest containing our silver tableware.  I am thinking now that maybe I surprised them and they took off out the back when I drove up.  There was a camera by the back door that got left behind.

Anyway, since they broke down the front door, we had a maintenance guy come out and board it shut from the inside.  The whole door and frame will have to be replaced.

So, no pics today, since I can't figure out how to get them on here yet.  But my art quilt group met here on Monday and I have lots of nice photos when I figure out how to upload them from my phone to blogger.

Everything's okay, no one was hurt, and stuff can be replaced.  But it is a sickening feeling to have your home violated.

And what they don't tell you on those TV crime shows is that fingerprint dust is almost impossible to remove from painted surfaces.  I'm still working on it!




3 comments:

Heather said...

That's rough. Glad to hear that your dog is fine though.

Vicki W said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I'm so glad your dog is OK. I hope you can get things back to normal soon and I suppose there's a security system in your future. It's really sad that we've come to that.

Karen L. said...

Jeanne, Oh my! I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you .... and so soon after moving. What is wrong with people? Why do they feel it is fine to steal what others have worked hard to get? I am sure you feel violated. At least you did not run into those criminals and your dog was all right. I hope the cops can track down those "guys" so as least you will know they are off the streets. Stay safe!