Thursday, December 20, 2012

Sad

My father, Peter C. Turner, passed away last Thursday.  He was 89.



I am so thankful that we just spent Thanksgiving traveling together to Florida to visit my brother Jeff's family.  It was a lovely time spent together.  Although my father's health had been declining, he was still able to enjoy the warm sunshine and all the attention from his grandchildren. 

When we were on the airplanes, Dad wore his "Flight of Honor" ball cap that was given to Veterans on a trip to visit the World War II memorial in Washington, D.C.   We were always the last off the plane, and it warmed my heart that so many travellers paused on their way up the aisle to say "Thank you for your service, sir."

We were also very touched at the graveside service to find a military Honor Guard.  It was a rainy, misty, day in the North Carolina mountains at the little church graveyard in Banner Elk.  The bugler climbed up the hillside and played "Taps,"  and the sound echoed down the hill.

I was doing pretty well until Taps.  It is very hard to say goodbye to someone who has been such a huge part of my life.

Good-bye, Daddy.  Yours was a life well-lived.

No comments: