Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Some Valentine's-y Quilts

Happy Valentine's Day!  I thought I might show you a few quilts I have made over the years that might fit today's theme.

First up, Something Girly, one of my most successful quilts.  It is actually a wholecloth quilt from a rather sheer fabric.  Batting is trapuntoed and cut away to form the hearts and feathers.  Then, a layer of bright red is layered behind the white to create the pink background color.  After quilting, I added more color with Tsukinko inks.

Something Girly

Next is a smaller version made the same way.  It was donated to an auction to benefit one of my favorite charities, SAFEChild of North Carolina.


Heart's Delight

The next one was made the same way, but has couched fibers around the edges instead of binding.   This one was auctioned at Heritage Days for the Capital Quilters Guild.


Ring of Peace


The next one is a fabric collage that is quilted and mounted on a painted gallery-wrapped canvas.  This one sold for $45.00 at another charity auction.
Sweet

Anna's Quilt has lots of hearts and other girly things.  I made it for Anna when my nephew Jason married her mama and her little sister Lacy was born. 




Anna's Quilt

Second-Hand Rose was part of the Breaking Traditions traveling exhibit for over a year.  This one is really different.  I used an embroidered linen skirt from Good Will as the border.  The very shiny background is Textiva fabric, which is what Angelina fibers are before they are shredded.  Then it got some fabric, silk flowers, ribbons, applique, Swarovski crystals, and what-have-you.  The beads on the outer border are hand-made by wrapping fabric and fiber around a pencil and gluing them.  I still have this quilt.


The next one is sort of Valentine-ish.  I made this for the Capital Quilter's Guild's annual Quilts for Kids challenge.  I believe this won Second Place.  U used various patterns to make lots of things that little girls would love.  The border fabric was the challenge fabric, and I used lots of hand-dyes to coordinate.  These quilts are donated to Neo-Natal Intensive Care Units at local hospitals.


Garden Party

I hope you have a day filled with love...or that you love what you are doing today!

No comments: