Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Beautiful Goodbye

Christmas is such a joyous time of year to be with family and friends. It seems doubly cruel when you lose a loved one at Christmas. It has happened in our family numerous times as I have lost an uncle, my grandmother, and my husband's uncle on Christmas Eve. This year I have lost my friend Pam Hogg, a lovely woman who also happens to have been a quilter. She is the wife of my husband's business partner, and we have been fortunate to have known her for the past twenty years or so. Pam has been bravely battling cancer for the past few years, and passed away on December 23.

When Pam was becoming interested in quilting, her husband Spike offered me $100 not to take her to my sewing room and show her my machine and my stash! Quilting never took over her life as it has mine, but she made a beautiful quilt and matching furnishings for their bedroom. She also made a golfing-themed lap quilt for Spike.

Over the years we have been together on many lovely trips, including two to San Francisco, where she and Spike once were stationed at The Presideo, a now-closed Army base. They were wonderful tour guides for us. This fall during her illness, she and Spike were unable to join us on the trip to New York, and we have missed her presence at the client pig-picking and other events we traditionally share. We took this picture of Spike and Pam on our first trip to San Francisco in 1997.
Today, her obituary was in the local paper. If you would like to read a story of true love, I encourage you to read this beautiful tribute written by her husband Spike.

Goodbye, dear friend. You will be missed.




9 comments:

Vicki W said...

What a lovely friend to have had!

Lynn Majidimehr said...

It is so sad to loose a friend, but at least you have memories of the times you spent together.

Lindah said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your dear friend. Such a loving tribute to her by her husband. It is wonderful to read about long-lasting, loving relationships.

Flassie's Fil'a said...

That was a Beautiful tribute by her husband.
So sad to lose a friend.

I pray Your New Year will Be Very Happy and Blessed!!!

Randi said...

That is a beautiful tribute...God bless him. I'm sorry for your loss.

dot said...

What a loss. She certainly sounds like a true treasure. My prayers to you and her family.

Michelle said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a blessing good friends are!

Cathie said...

Both your post and the obituary have left me teary-eyed and speechless. I am so very sorry for your loss.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Thank you all for your kind remarks and for taking the time to read the loving tribute. She was pretty special, and he is, too.