Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting ready for the weekend

From one big weekend event to another...this time at my home in Wake Forest, NC. My husband and his partners at Wachovia Securities have hosted a Client Pig-Picking in the fall for the past five years or so. What is a pig-picking, blog readers not from the South may be asking? It is a very popular outdoor food fest, the highlight being a whole pig that is cooked slowly on a big outdoor grill. The traditional method calls for a hickory log fire, but we use charcoal. Husband Charlie is the chief cook, which usually involves rising at dawn to put Porky on the grill. Many Southerners in rural areas raise a hog or two in the backyard just for this purpose. We purchase ours from a local abattoir who dresses it out, ready to roast. However, for the last two years, a nearby neighbor's pig has escaped a few days before our event and run wild through our yard, rooting up grass and seemingly volunteering to be the guest of honor! Here is one whopper who is seen in front of my next-door neighbor's play yard. I think he is as large as the pool or the trampoline!Let's hope he or his successor does not show up this year! Anyway, the pig for the meal is basted constantly and served with my brother-in-law Kenny's secret sauce of the vinegar and tomato variety. There is controversy over the best barbecue- Western NC style, Texas style...but this is Eastern North Carolina style and we don't get any complaints.

Last year, I decided to hang quilts from the rails of our back deck for the party. The idea behind this was to hide the junk stored beneath the deck. However, it was quite a crowd- pleaser, and Charlie has asked me to do the same this year. This is how my quilts looked last year- my own little Sisters Oregon Quilt Show!
Anyway, this will be my last post until at least Sunday or Monday. Lots to do to get ready! Fortunately, the rest of the food is catered and the tables and chairs will be delivered and set up. I only have to bake some cookie bars as an additional dessert for those who are not keen on the traditional banana pudding. Oh yeah, and clean the house, finish the yard work, get guestrooms ready for company...

I have been decorating the yard for the party! Wish me luck having 100 people over for dinner this Saturday!






4 comments:

dot said...

Have a good time at your party. I like the affect of the quilts hanging around. Your halloween gretter is rather cute also. Don't work to hard and take time to enjoy.

zizzybob said...

Sounds like big fun, can I come too?

Vicki W said...

What a perfect combo - a pig pickin and a quilt show! Can I come?

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

It starts at four o'clock! Would love to have you!