Friday, December 2, 2011

Whacky Ladies Christmas Brunch

Today was the Christmas brunch for my local quilt bee, The Whacky Ladies.  We met at Brig's in Wake Forest for a delightfully calorie-laden breakfast.  Now I can reveal what I have been working on this week.

First off is the Church Ladies Apron that I made for the Dirty Santa gift exchange.




It is reversible, with an apple print on one side, and a black and gold Debbie Mumm stars print on the other.  It has a scalloped bottom edge.


Both sides have double pockets.





This one was snatched back and forth in the game where you can choose the next wrapped gift, or "steal" an opened one.  Mary got this, which was then stolen by Donna, and finally stolen back by Mary since she was #1.

The pattern was fairly easy to follow, except for the pockets.  Those took me two afternoons, and I had to do a Google search for this apron to see how to use the fabrics!

My gift was a tote bag, which I "stole" from Irene.  It was made by Mary!



It closes with Velcro and has an interior pocket as well as an outside pocket.



We also exchange small trinkets or ornaments at the brunch.  This year I made funky bookmarks out of quilted or painted fabric and watercolor or scrapbook paper.

This group had feathers quilted on hand-dyed fabric.  The center one was just card stock decorated with Neocolor II water-soluble crayons.


These were quilted and then painted with Shiva oil paint sticks.



Here are some more quilted ones.



On the backs of some of these are the watercolor test paper from my class at Art Students Academy when I did the Linn Cove Viaduct painting.



All of these are made from leftover bits of quilting or painting projects, so it is fun to rummage through my "leftovers bin" to make these bookmarks.

Here are the goodies I received from the other "Whackies."


The green object that looks something like a hand grenade is a pomander ball made from a lime.  It smells divine!  And don't you love the gingerbread man on the spatula!  Irene made us each two quilted coasters.

Got to get ready for my other bee on Monday...and an office party tonight at Brio's in Crabtree Valley with my husband's co-workers.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Your apron looks great. I just made one for my daughter and have two more waiting to be sewn. It's a nice pattern. :-)