Saturday, November 12, 2011

Watercolor Weekend, Day 3: Tom Lynch

Today wrapped up my scheduled workshops at Art of the Carolinas in Raleigh.  All three were watercolor classes.  Today's instructor was Tom Lynch, a very charismatic teacher whose mission was to teach us the fundamentals of a good painting while having fun.  We did!


This time our classroom at the North Raleigh Hilton had the same mirrored teacher station, but I was not bothered by the directionality problem.  There was no specific drawing or direction to worry about.

He gifted us with a small plein air palette filled with paint, two brushes, and also four quarter-sheets of Gemini 140-lb. paper.  Very organized- everything came in a plastic bag ready to go!

We each made two juicy background washes, one in a warm tone and one in a cool.


We put leaves over the underpainting and painted over them with dark values.



We learned to find a focal point and soften the colors in other areas of the painting.  We added some positive shapes and some veins in the leaves.

Here is mine with a mat over part of the painting.



I ended up with a semi-abstract, colorful painting with a glowing focal point.  I like it, but think I will try it again.  These leaves were kind of torn up, and did not make as crisp an image as I would like.  Compare mine to these of Tom's.





I purchased two Tom Lynch instructional DVDs, and then went to the trade show.  Very overwhelming!  I limited myself to a few supplies that the instructors had recommended:  spray bottles for spraying paint, and some of the 300-lb. Bright White Arches paper that Tom Jones recommended on Thursday.

Oh, yes, and I had to get just one new book from Suzanne McNeill's booth.


Altered Surfaces, by Chris Cozen

Using Acrylic Paints With Gels, Mediums, Grounds & Pastes

I think I have enough projects to get me through the winter!

1 comment:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Wow, these are super watercolors!