Friday, October 17, 2008

My Lucky Day

Yesterday was the drawing for the Pink Artist Project. You may remember that I made my Pink Wallhanging (what a creative name) to donate as a prize for a donor to the Susan G. Komen Foundation (Breast Cancer Research) through this project. Well, guess what? I also won a prize for donating! Look at this beautiful bracelet made of pink "charms" donated by many artists!






Such a variety of little pretties! I can't wait to see it up close and examine all the techniques that went into these beads, buttons, jewels, and mini-quilts! There are more pictures of the bracelet at the Think Pink Charm Exchange Blog. My friend Michelle made one of her embellished bottle cap objets d'arte for this exchange. She has already e-mailed me and apparently, not only does she have counter envy, she now has prize envy. Many thanks to everyone who made a charm to donate. They are awesome!



Please read Monica's blog post about the prize drawings. I had tears in my eyes when I read the story of the winner of Love Squared, the beautiful pink-haired doll wearing a skirt of two-inch quilt squares. She will be going to the perfect home!



The winner of my donation is Dian Moore. Dian, I will send your shiny little pink quilt on Monday since I do not have your address yet and we are leaving for the weekend in a little while. Congratulations, and I hope you will enjoy it!



Here is what I have been working on this week when I was not watching my kitchen project unfolding. I have finished three quilts in the past two years for my sister-in-law Debbie, whose late grandmother left behind many UFO's (Un-Finished Objects). At my father's birthday party in September, she brought me four more that she had gotten on her last trip to Indiana. Apparently there is a lifetime supply! Most of these are tops that have not been quilted. But this one was tied with bright red yarn. All I was asked to do is finish the binding so it can be used.


Inquiring minds might be wondering, is that polyester double-knit? Yes! Is it very stretchy and hard to work with? Yes! Is it frayed? Yes! Did she really use red yarn on pink? Yes!



So, I stitched all around the edges to stabilize, and then zig-zagged the edges to flatten them down a bit. But look....Is the fabric dry-rotted? Yes! Quite a bit of the red used in the large diamonds is falling apart, as are some of the other fabrics. So, instead of running to Wal-Mart and looking for similar shades in polyester, I did what I hope Grandma would have done. I looked through my scrap bins for anything in a similar shade.


I tried fusing over the previous patch. Nope. Does not stick to poly. And the poly kind of melts.


So, I am making appliques to stitch on top of the bad pieces. And decided to use flannel for softness.

If you can tell, this is not my favorite project. But I love the fact that my sis-in-law values her grandmother's work. This one has a certain charm, and I think it may find a home at their cabin by a mountain lake in Tennessee. I am making a black cotton binding to finish the edges. A very wide binding to cover all the fraying edges.

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

Stephanie D said...

Congratulations on your win! It's great!

And that quilt you're working on--a true labor of love. I don't know that I'd have any idea how to fix it.

Vicki W said...

I hope that you will share a photo wearing that bracelet because it looks like it will weigh about 10 pounds! What a great collection of charms. Kudos to you for working on the family quilts. Mom and I are slogging our way through GreatGrandma's quilt pieces. It may not be the favorite chore at the time but the finished projects are some of the most rewarding.

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

Hi there Jeanne!
I sent you an email about the charm bracelet!
Did you get it yet by any chance?
Please check your spam folder if not.
THANK YOU!!!
And CONGRATS!!!
Amber Dawn
PS, I will post your blog link in a post after I mail the bracelet to you!

Amber Dawn Inventive Soul said...

PS, YES Vicki is right!
It IS a heavy bracelet!!!
You can take it apart and make other jewelry from the pieces!
*Smiles*