Thursday, June 24, 2010

Re-Vision Quilt Project: The Beginning


While I was at the beach, my awesome quilt group, Cyberbee, had an all-day meeting during which the Re-Vision Quilt project was launched. 

We have been toying with the idea for this swap for a long time, since Michelle read about the idea on Judy Rys' blog.

 I sent my project (a Ricky Tims Harmonic Convergence quilt top) along in a stapled brown paper bag, and Jean picked up a brown bag project for me.  When I found out it was from Mary Corcoran, I got excited because Mary is an awesome quilter who uses vibrant color combinations.

Yesterday, Jean and I had lunch, and we opened my bag to see the quilt Mary had bestowed on me.

Wow!


The idea behind Re-Vision projects is to give away a quilt project that you either do not like or just do not want to finish.  Once you give it away, you lose all control over what the new owner does to it.  And you don't get it back.  Typically, you might give away a project that would remain a UFO (Un-Finished Object) forever.

Our group has set December as the completion date for the Re-Vision quilt projects.  The quilts can be disassembled, cut up, painted, over-dyed, made into jackets or bags...whatever!

Here is my problem...I already love this quilt. It has fabulous borders, precise piecing, and is made from batiks in teal with bright accents. My living room happens to be teal with bright accent colors...

Why cut it up or paint it?  I think I may add an additional border and quilt it and have a gorgeous quilt to snuggle under while engaging in couch potato-ing.

It is going to be 101 today.  Can anyone really even be thinking about quilting?

Oh, yes!

3 comments:

Del said...

I like your great idea for this quilt top. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, eh? It will make a great cuddle-under-quilt with or without an added border.

Unknown said...

I like the idea of you just adding to it....it is too pretty to cut up......

Michelle said...

I'm so glad to see this project moving forward. If I can manage the time I may just re-vision my own quilt. But, wow, Mary gave you a beauty! and I total agree that you should just finish it up and enjoy it. It won't be a UFO any more, so surely that counts!