Monday, February 9, 2009

Showered with Gifts

Charlie and I drove to Greensboro, NC, on Saturday to spend the night with my sister Katy and her husband. Then on Sunday, we went to the baby shower for Katy's daughter Melinda. It was lots of fun---and quite unusual, because most of the young women there were either toting their babies with them, or were also expecting. Whole lotta estrogen in the house! The hostesses had made the cutest centerpiece for a baby shower...rolled-up diapers in tiers like a cake, with little rattles and toys tucked in!

I did not quite finish all the projects I started for Melinda's baby, but it took a BIG bag to hold what I had.
First out of the bag was a throw pillow. I hope Melinda has a rocking chair in the baby's room...forgot to ask!

Then a couple of sheets- one handmade!- and the dust ruffle for the crib. I had never made a fitted sheet before. That was the easiest of all the projects. The ruffle is made of patchwork, so that took awhile.

She had seen the actual quilt on my blog, but there were a few surprises on it, like the baby's name quilted in the corner.



And I made a little pocket organizer that you can hang from the side of the crib.

I am still "wrastlin" with the baby bumpers for the crib, which are about 180" of puffy mess that need to be tamed with some additional quilting. And the pattern I had the most trouble with is for a diaper stacker. It is all done except for sewing the base on, which does not want to fit. Well, the baby is not due until the end of March!
Here is a baby gift idea I have never seen. Charlotte cross-stitched a sampler, then inserted it in the center of a lovely print to make a baby blanket. The back is flannel and the edge has piping.
We all had a fit over these girly little sandals.


Today I substituted in fourth grade- still have not gotten my starting date for my new job.
Meanwhile, I am supposed to be on part 2 of my Still Life Class, and I am not finished with the first one.
I also agreed to make an art quilt by February 20 featuring a view of the water at sunset and the family dog for a guest speaker at my sister's church. I really need to get going on that one. I have an idea how I will do it. I think the Neocolor II watercolor crayons will work out well for the sky and water.

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend as much as I did with my friends and family.

1 comment:

Susan Loftin said...

Jeanne - The gifts you made for Melinda are so sweet!
I've nominated you for a "Life is Grand" award. Pop on over to my blog to get the details.
Susan