Friday, February 6, 2009

I have been sewing, sewing, sewing...trying to finish all my surprises for my niece Melinda's baby in time for her showers this weekend.
As I complained to my bee last night, I have run into so many problems lately with pattern directions. Maybe it is just me, but I get to a certain step, and then get totally befuddled. Now, I have been sewing from patterns for close to fifty years, so it is not a lack of experience here. And for what you have to pay for patterns these days, they should make life simpler, not add to the frustration! So, I have two projects that I will try to complete today. Okay, Rant Over.
At our bee meeting last night, we were all thrilled with Jean's completed Chocolate Bunnies applique quilt top. It is so cute! It was a Block-of-the-Month project, but I don't remember the source.
(Note: Jean provided the source of the pattern: Bunny Hill Designs.)
Jean is our local Queen of Applique. She is going to hand-quilt this one. I was hoping I would get to do it for her, but I know she will enjoy working on this one for many days to come.

Yesterday, I received another book I ordered to help me with needle-felting. It is called Uniquely Felt, by Christine White. This is a large volume with 310 pages, full of information about different kinds of fiber and wool, techniques, and projects.
And I finished listening to a wonderful book on tape while I was sewing. Of course, I was drawn by the title, Sarah's Quilt. And the author: Nancy E. Turner. (My maiden name is Turner.) The narrator reads Sarah's words in a voice that sounds like Reba McEntire. It is actually a fiction diary of a widow who is trying to keep her Arizona cattle ranch going in 1906. She comes across as incredibly strong despite many setbacks. The quilting helps her through some difficult times. That part rings very true for many of us quilters. Quilting is cheaper than psychoanalysis!

2 comments:

Cathie said...

Thanks for sharing Jean's bunny quilt. I saw that in progress and it is sew cute. I just love it. I can't remember who she made it for. I'll have to read that book you are referring to, I read the first Elm Creek Book (that is what it is right?) and really liked it. I'm reading a book right now about a Montana cattle rancher (Winter Range by Claire Davis) and it's great. Enjoy the weekend Jeanne - it's going to be beautiful. I'm gonna get out on my new bike!

Judy S. said...

That's a very cute quilt, Jeanne. Don't you suppose some folk's fabric purchases might rival psychoanalysis rates? ;>) That book you mentioned sounds like a good one....