Saturday, August 29, 2015

A Look Back at Some Old Quilts I Made

I have recently been looking for old photographs, and came across some of quilts that I made before beginning my blog.  There are lots more that need to be scanned, but want to see some of them?

The first one resulted from a swap of "citrus" blocks with members of Cyberbee, a quilt bee that formed back in the nineties when some members of Capital Quilters Guild in Raleigh were just getting into "e-mail."  The citrus blocks were exchanged were so bright that I pieced them together with cool blues, greens, and purples using a Sharyn Craig-type setting.



The next one is on our guest bed in the Raleigh house.  The four-inch center squares were from another exchange with members of an online quilting book club I belonged to.  The swap continued for over a year, and the blocks tended to be themed by season.  I arranged them in rows according to season, and named it "Wishing My Summer Vacation Could Last All Year."  That was a couple of years before I retired.  Again I used a setting from one of Sharyn Craig's books.



This one I made for my husband's birthday.  I used a paper piecing pattern by Karen Stone called Jewels in the Grass.  By changing the green strips to blues, they became jewels in the sky.


This one was a wedding gift for one of our mountain neighbor's daughters.  I used lots of floral print squares and set them on point.


The next one is a baby quilt that I made for my great-niece, Hunter.  (She is now about sixteen.)  I just made nine-patch blocks, made a little heart block for the posts, and added points at the end of the sashing strips.


1 comment:

SGB said...

They are all lovely but I think I like the citrus one best. Unfortunately for me I find that when I look back at old projects my first reaction is usually "what was I thinking!!?!?!".