Monday, December 3, 2012

Anything Art Bee

Today we met at Ruth-Ellen's house for our annual December lunch meeting of the Anything Art Bee.  Ruth-Ellen made a delicious kugel, and once again led us in the making of potato latkes, in honor of the approaching Hannukah season.  Everyone else brought side dishes and desserts, for a deliciously decadent meal.

I decided to make some ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) to share.

All of these except one were made from an old piece of watercolor paper that I had painted with washes of pastel color.  I painted some flowers, trees or other designs, then cut the paper into the standard 2.5" x 3.5" ATC size.  I added some stamped text to the front, fused some photocopies of some of my artwork to the back, and stitched around the edges.
I also turned in two more pieces of fabric for our surface design challenge.  For this project, each participant started with a yard of palin white cotton fabric and sent it to the next person in the rotation.
When I got Roberta's fabric, it had been tea-dyed.  Roberta loves bright color, so I got out the Seatacolor transparent paints again and splashed some on to the wet fabric, allowing the colors to mix and blend.
Then it was looking kind of like an abstract garden, so I stamped some dragonflies and flowers with Tsukineko inks.
Here is a detail shot of Roberta's fabric.

When I got Peg's fabric, it was Round 3, and this is what it looked like.

Roberta had needle-felted some roving in a grid, and painted with Lumiere paints, which are very shiny.  Toni extended the lines of the grid on a diagonal with Inktense pencils.

This was looking way too linear for me, and there was a vast amount of white space left.  Once again I turned to the Setacolor paints and splashed some on.  I also put down some stencils to print while the paint was drying.

I just kept adding more paint, and fiddling around until I decided I had done enough. On to the next person to add more embellishment or design.

We had some good show and tell.  My favorite was this beautiful quilt that Peg made using a jelly roll, some additional fabric, and this fabulous border batik that finished the top beautifully.

We have a new group member named Marion, who is from Australia.  She made an Australian tree skirt featuring Santa in the sled pulled by " six white boomers,"  or kangaroos.  There is a song about it.
We often have a tutorial of some sort during our bee meetings.  Today Ruth-Ellen showed us how to light up our quilts with LED lights.  She had all the supplies we needed including conducting thread.  I decided I would learn by adding an LED light to a felt flower brooch.

It was pretty cool!  Now that I know how to do it, I might add lights to other projects.
I finally finished one of the watercolor paintings that I started in November at Art of the Carolinas in a class with Tom Jones. It is now off to the framers.  The scene reminds me very much of Ashe County, North Carolina, where we have our mountain cabin.
That gets me about caught up with what I've been doing.  Now I have to get serious about getting ready for Christmas.  Charlie and I started off the seasonal festivities by going to a Mannheim Steamroller concert at the DPAC Friday night.  It was just wonderful!  Our son from South Carolina is coming up with his family next weekend to celebrate Christmas.  Charlie got the lights up outside, a candle in each window, and the lights on the tree.  Now I need to get the ornaments on the tree and get all my other preparations ready.
Can't wait!


No comments: