Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Happy Sewing Day

I have plenty of Quilty Things to report today

First of all, it was a Great Mail Day. In December, I participated in SewCalGal's Virtual Christmas Quilt Show, entering two of my Christmas quilts featured on my blog. It was fun to read all the lovely comments from viewers, and to see the lovely quilts on display.

To my surprise, I found out that I won some door prizes. Very wonderful, generous prizes!

The first package arrived yesterday from Daniela Stout at Cozy Quilt Shop in El Cajon, California.




The prize was a beautifully packaged set of 32 eight inch fabric squares, plus an autographed copy of Sharyn Craig's book Layer It Up #2. Sharyn came to our guild a few years ago, and I am a big fan of her books.

Of course, I had to open the package of fabric and spread the lovely squares out on the floor.

These are really soft, warm shades of earth tones. I am thinking they will make something cozy for our mountain cabin! Thank you for donating such a great prize, Cozy Quilt Shop!



I finished sewing the binding on my blue-and-white charity quilt last night. Here it is, with binding, pinned to my design wall.



Finally, I tried a quilt block construction technique that I saw on Del Thomas's blog recently. She has all the step-by-step procedure on her blog post, so I will show only my first two completed blocks. I used some patchwork that I had already pieced together from bright scraps.

There is a lot of seam-sewing involved here, but the intricate weaving of colors is interesting. I don't think I will make sixteen of these to make a 45" square quilt, but I can see a table runner or possibly a purse or tote bag made from this!

Today I head to the "Big City" (Raleigh, LOL) for lunch with one of my teaching friends, and a quick trip to JoAnn's and Michael's while I am there.

1 comment:

SewCalGal said...

Delightful post. Have fun in Raleigh. Wish I lived closer and could join you. Sounds like a fun trip!

Can't wait to see what you do with your Layer 'm Up book, by Sharyn Craig and your Layer Cake of fabrics.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com